Copyright © 2014 Bright Ring Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
For questions or permissions to reprint,write to us here, or phone 800-480-4278.
Preschool Art, by MaryAnn Kohl offers over 200 process-oriented preschool activities for children ages 3-6 years.
• colored chalk
• black paper or matte board
• 1/3 cup (70g) sugar dissolved in 1 cup (230 ml) water
• cotton balls, optional
1. Soak the chalk sticks in the cup of sugar water for five to ten minutes. This adds brilliance to the color and helps resists smudging.
2. Draw on the black paper with the sugar chalk. Lines can be bold and bright or light and blurry.
3. Brush chalk marks with cotton balls as an optional art technique.
• Make a spooky fall drawing. The black background will make the colors seem to glow.
• Use other colors and different textures of paper.
• Paint the paper with a mixture of canned milk and liquid starch. Draw on the wet paper for a sparkling effect.
Hint: Chalk is inherently smudgy, but the sugar-water mixture will help reduce smudging.