12 Steps to Self Publishing Success
– a PMA University Handout
Copyright © 2015 Bright Ring Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
” I did it – – you can too!”
The Nitty Gritty – by MaryAnn F. Kohl
1. You gotta have heart!
- Believe in yourself, in your book.
- Missions statements and goals: I believe deeply in bringing good things to children.
2. Be realistic…
- About yourself, your book, and what being in business means.
- You gotta have heart, but you gotta have time, a realistic look at business, and some money to get you started.
- In the beginnings
- Later ons
3. Be ethical, responsible, generous
- Accept responsibility when you’re wrong – and then Fix It but don’t give up when you’re right.
- Do what you say, and always say thank you.
4. Make friends…
- with the people with whom you interact
- build relationships to count on over time
5. Focusing – a formula for success
6. Staying small, staying profitable, (and staying realistic!)
7. Distributors – a big decision
8. Hiring others
- someone with knowledge – yes! that means you have to pay them!
9. Giving away books and the discount issue
10. Build a customer list
- and treat them like friends
11. Expanding the touch
- Writing for magazines
- Guest on television
12. A Gimmick…and other branding successes.